ENTREPRENEURSHIP IN A COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT: RISKS, IMBALANCES AND SECURITY
Type of articles
|Problem setting. The basic business motives of entrepreneurs are contradictory. The goal of entrepreneurs is to obtain business income. Its general economic form is profit, and derived economic forms are gross income, economic profit, accounting profit, net profit, etc. At the same time, every entrepreneur is interested in securing business. Such processes are interrelated, and if their implementation is
uncoordinated, imbalances arise.
Recent research and publication analysis. Many modern scientific publications are devoted to the problems of entrepreneurship development in conditions of competition. Scientists explore the issues of the functioning of an enterprise in the legal environment, providing business with effective consulting assistance to improve enterprise management, modern forms and types of competition, competitive advantages of a company, strategic competitive management, and the system of business economic security. However, studying
entrepreneurship in the context of imbalances in its development is a new direction of scientific research.
Paper objective. The purpose of the article is to justify the mechanism of safe development of entrepreneurship in a competitive environment, to overcome imbalances (inconsistencies) of basic business motives of entrepreneurs, competitiveness and economic
security of a business.
Paper main body. The authors of the article research three blocks of questions:
1) entrepreneurship and the imbalance (inconsistency) of the basic business motives of entrepreneurs and economic security. The direction of business to obtain various forms of entrepreneurial income occurs in conditions of uncertainty and unpredictability of the business environment, and numerous economic risks. Measures to form an effective system of economic security are becoming urgently needed. However, the business motives of entrepreneurial income and economic security should be reconciled. Otherwise, there is a threat of their imbalance, which is multi-level and includes: the mental and psychological level associated with the personification of business; socio-economic level, characterized by an imbalance of business goals in terms of maximizing business income and ensuring economic security; management and legal level, namely the imbalance (inconsistency) of the interests of stakeholders of the business;
2) competition and imbalances of competitiveness and economic security. Competition is a mechanism that is closely intertwined with the realization of the basic business motives of entrepreneurs. Taking part in competition entrepreneurs try to implement as much as possible their competitive advantages and gain access to rent streams. The greatest threat to business is the risk of inefficient competitive decisions by managers; unfair, subversive, asymmetric competition. The corporate economic security system is faced with the task of protecting the potential of business competitiveness. Moreover, any violation of the complementarity of the basic business motives of entrepreneurship can lead to the formation of derivative imbalances of competitiveness and economic security;
3) management of business imbalances. The authors of the article suggest the following measures:
a) assessment of the level of business competitiveness as an integral indicator of product competitiveness, innovative, intellectual, personnel and financial competitiveness;
b) assessment of the level of the system of economic security of business based on the system-functional approach;
c) business positioning according to the matrix «level of economic security – level of business competitiveness» with the determination of the threat of occurrence imbalances of competitiveness and economic security;
d) development and implementation of measures to ensure the complementarity of competitiveness and components of the system of economic security of business, overcoming their imbalances.
Conclusion of the research. Modern entrepreneurship is risky, and the basic business motives of entrepreneurs are contradictory. Their implementation may be uncoordinated, creating certain imbalances. Among them are: imbalance (inconsistency) of basic business motives of entrepreneurs and economic security; derivative imbalances of competitiveness and economic security. However, imbalances of business can and should be managed. In particular, the matrix «level of economic security – level of business competitiveness» allows to position the company’s business and identify safe and dangerous areas of doing business.
Research of risks and imbalances of business and competition should be continued. At this stage, the substantiation of traps of competition and the creation of an effective model of competitive security of business are relevant.
Short abstract for an article
Abstract. The authors of the article analyze the development of entrepreneurship in a competitive environment. They prove that entrepreneurs are simultaneously interested in obtaining entrepreneurial income and in the security of business as a complete economic and legal system. But the basic business motives of entrepreneurs are contradictory. The biggest threat is imbalances (inconsistency) of the system of business motives of entrepreneurial income and security, competitiveness and economic security of business. The article proposes an algorithm for managing business imbalances.
|entrepreneurship, company, basic business motives of entrepreneurs, income, profit, competition, competitive «rent», economic risk, economic security of business, imbalance (inconsistency) of business motives of entrepreneurial income and security, imbalances of competitiveness, management of business imbalances, matrix «level of economic security – level of business competitiveness»|
Article in PDF
|1. Marchenko, O. S., Shevchenko, L. S., Mynko, N. A., & Nesterenko, I. V. (2022). Pidpryiemstvo v pravovomu seredovyshchi: aktualni problemy efektyvnoho funktsionuvannia [Enterprise in a legal environment: Actual problems of effective functioning]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 4(51), 44–68. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411‑5584‑2022‑51‑4‑44 [in Ukrainian].
2. Marchenko, O. S., & Yarmak O. V. (2023). Tekhniko-tekhnolohichni ta naukovi chynnyky transformatsii upravlinskoho konsaltynhu [Technical, technological and scientific factors of management consulting transformations]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 1(52), 52–68. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411-5584-2023-52-1-52 [in Ukrainian].
3. Shevchenko, L. S., & Nesterenko, I. V. (2023). Upravlinskyi konsaltynh v umovakh zakonodavchykh ta informatsiinykh obmezhen [Management consulting in conditions of legislative and informational restrictions]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 1(52), 69–86. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411-5584-2023-52-1-69 [in Ukrainian].
4. Marchenko, O. S. (Ed.). (2022). Biznes-konsaltynh u novykh realiiakh hospodarskoi diialnosti v Ukraini. Kruhlyi stil u redaktsii zbirnyka naukovykh prats «Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo», 2 chervnia 2022 roku [Business consulting in new realities of economic activity in Ukraine. Round-table discussion at the editorial office of the collection of scientific papers «Economic Theory and Law», 02 June 2022]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 2(49), 112–153. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411‑5584‑2022‑49‑2‑112 [in Ukrainian].
5. Maister, D. H. (1993). Managing the Professional Service Firm. Free Press.
6. Hubin, K. H. (2022). Rozvytok marketynhu v Ukraini: dovhostrokovi oriientyry [Development of marketing in Ukraine: Long-term guidelines]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 3(50), 43–58. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411‑5584‑2022‑50‑3‑43 [in Ukrainian].
7. Shevchenko, L. S. (2023). Pidryvna konkurentsiia: zahrozy chy novi mozhlyvosti biznesu? [Disruptive competition: Threats or new business opportunities?]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 1(52), 30–51. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411-5584-2023-52-1-30 [in Ukrainian].
8. Shevchenko, L. S. (2021). Asymetrychna konkurentsiia: hra za novymy pravylamy [Asymmetric competition: New rules of the game]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 1(44), 66–84. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411‑5584‑2021‑44‑1‑66 [in Ukrainian].
9. Shevchenko, L. S. (2021). Tsyfrova konkurentsiia: novi mozhlyvosti ta novi zahrozy [Digital competition: New opportunities and new threats]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 2(45), 11–31. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411-5584-2021-45-2-11 [in Ukrainian].
10. Osiyevskyy, O., Shevchenko, L., Marchenko, O., & Umantsiv, Yu. (2022). Hybrid firm: The future of organizing for the Industry 4.0. Rutgers Business Review, 7(3), 289–308. https://rbr.business.rutgers.edu/article/hybrid-firm-future-organizingindustry-40.
11. Porter, M. E. (1985). The Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance. Free Press.
12. Ferrazzi, K., Gohar, K., & Weyrich, N. (2022). Competing in the New World of Work: How Radical Adaptability Separates the Best from the Rest. Harvard Business Review Press.
13. Yoffie, D. B., & Cusumano, M. A. (2015). Strategy rules. Five timeless lessons from Bill Gates, Andry Grove, and Steve Jobs / David B. Yoffie and Michael A. Cusumano. HaperCollins Publishers.
14. Adner, R. (2021). Winning the Right Game: How to Disrupt, Defend, and Deliver in a Changing World. The MIT Press.
15. Rybalchenko, L. V., Ryzhkov, E. V., Tiutchenko, S. M., Havrysh, O. S., & Varianychenko, A. O. (2020). Bezpeka pidpryiemnytstva [Entrepreneurship security] [Monograph]. Vydavets Bila K. O. [in Ukrainian].
16. Sytnyk, H. V., Blakyta, H. V., Huliaieva, N. M., Hanechko, I. H., Hanushchak, T. V., Zubko, T. L., Lanovska, H. I., Adamenko, V. V., Lositska, T. I., Vavdiichyk, I. M., Butova. T. Yu., Olesenko, I. S., & Arkhipov, N. M. (2020). Ekonomichna bezpeka pidpryiemnytstva v Ukraini [Economic security of entrepreneurship in Ukraine]. Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics. http://doi.org/10.31617/m.knute.2020–216 [in Ukrainian].
17. Danilova, E. I. (2020). Kontseptsiia systemnoho pidkhodu do upravlinnia ekonomichnoiu bezpekoiu pidpryiemstva [The concept of a systemic approach to the management of economic security of the enterprise]. Yevropeiska naukova platforma. https://doi.org/10.36074/danilova.kontseptsiia-2020 [in Ukrainian].
18. Didyk, A. M., Kuzmin, O. Ye, Ortunskyi, V. L., Kozachenko, H. V., Pohorelov, Yu. S., Illiashenko, O. V., Rudnichenko, Ye. M., Ovcharenko, Ye. I., Havlovska, N. I., Ivchenko, Ye. A., Lemishovskyi, V. I., & Vakhlakova, V. V. (2019). Ekonomichna bezpeka pidpryiemstva: pidruchnyk [Economic security of the enterprise: a textbook] (Didyk, A. M., Ed.). «Lvivska politekhnika»; TzOV «Vydavnycha hrupa ’Bukhhaltery Ukrainy’” [in Ukrainian].
19. Marchenko, O. S. (2022). Ekonomichna bezpeka pidpryiemstva [Economic security of the enterprise] [A study guide]. Pravo [in Ukrainian].
20. Nebava, M. I., & Mironova, Yu. V. (2017). Ekonomichna bezpeka pidpryiemstva [Economic security of the enterprise] [A study guide]. VNTU [in Ukrainian].
21. Hviniashvili, T. Z., & Khaletska, V. V. (2021). Rozroblennia systemy zabezpechennia ekonomichnoi bezpeky pidpryiemstva v umovakh minlyvoho seredovyshcha [Development of the enterprise’s economic security ensuring system in the conditions of the changing environment]. Prychornomorski ekonomichni studii – Black Sea Economic Studies, 64, 52–57. https://doi.org/10.32843/bses.64–9 [in Ukrainian].
22. Marchenko, O. S. (2022). Instytutsiina bezpeka pidpryiemstva ta yii zabezpechennia v umovakh voiennoho chasu [Enterprise’s institutional security and its ensuring in wartime conditions]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 3(50), 86–105. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411‑5584‑2022‑50‑3‑86 [in Ukrainian].
23. Marchenko, O. S. (2022). Antykryzovyi konsatynh u systemi ekonomichnoi bezpeky pidpryiemstva [Anti-crisis consulting in the system of economic security of the enterprise]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic Theory and Law, 2(49), 93–111. https://doi.org/10.31359/2411‑5584‑2022‑49‑2‑93 [in Ukrainian].
24. Deloitte. (2014). Risk Angles. Five questions on aligning risk and value (an interview with P. Matruglio and a closer look by S. Baret). Retrieved April 15, 2023, from https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/ua/Documents/risk/gx_grc_Deloitte%20Risk%20Angles-Aligning%20risk%20and%20value.pdf
25. Williamson, O. E. (1988, Spring). The logic of economic organization. Journal of Law Economics and Organization, 4(1), 65–93. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jleo.a036949
26. Hamel, G., Prahalad, C. K., Thomas, H., & O’Neal, D. (1998). Strategic flexibility. Managing in a Turbulent Environment. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. (UK).
27. Pro zakhyst vid nedobrosovisnoi konkurentsii: Zakon Ukrainy vid 07.06.1996 No. 236/96‑VR [On protection against unfair competition: Law of Ukraine dated June 7, 1996]. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/236/96-%D0 %B2 %D1 %80 [in Ukrainian].
This post is also available in: Ukrainian