STRATEGIC CONSULTING: THEORY, PRACTICE, BUSINESS INDUSTRY
|2019 - № 2 (37)||
Type of articles
|Problem setting. A majority of consultants consider strategic consulting as the most prestigious segment in the sector of professional services. Nevertheless, there are different views regarding the content and directions of development of strategic consulting.
Recent research and publication analysis. Foreign theoreticians and practitioners have significantly contributed to generalizing and systematizing experience in the field of consulting as the science, academic discipline, and practice of managing a business. These scientists attach particular attention to the following issues: diagnostic tools of consulting (М. Silberman); schemes for managing consulting projects (M. Cope); ways for creating
successful consulting practice (A. Weiss); the role of consultants and consulting firms in the contemporary business (A. Canato and A. Giangreco); development of innovative consulting (T. Davila, M. J. Epstein, R. Shelton, J. M. Cagan, C. M. Vogel, F. Cardenas, and D. Oyon). In Ukraine, scientists such as T. P. Kalna-Dubiniuk, O. Klenin, and O. S. Marchenko successfully develop the theory of consulting. However, there is a lack of scientific papers
on strategic consulting.
Paper objective. The article’s objective is to disclose the essence of the strategic consulting conception and to analyse opportunities of its practical implementing in Ukraine.
Paper main body. Strategic consulting is the science, as well as contract-based professional entrepreneurial activity of specialists in preparing managerial decisions concerning forming and undertaking a strategy aimed at ensuring the best competitive position for an organization (firm), functioning and development of this organization under an unstable external environment, and achieving determined goals in the long run.
The article’s author analyses the following matters:
a) enhancing the theory of strategic consulting influenced by strategic management, theoretical and applied economics, innovation studies, and law;
b) peculiarities of a contemporary product of strategic consulting, which includes: developing and implementing corporate strategies; transforming business models; providing financial and other consultations regarding mergers and acquisitions (M&A); creating organizational and functional strategies of a firm (marketing, personnel, manufacturing, etc.); developing digital strategies, which have recently reach the highest positions in consulting of the business;
c) analysing strategic consulting as a business industry. The author distinguishes between strategic business consulting and public sector consulting. The author examines competitive advantages of the main suppliers of strategic consulting services, namely: global consulting firms, which have own methodical tools of consultancy enabling to do complex researches, including the international ones, to form long-term strategies aimed at developing client organizations and instruments for undertaking these strategies; global networks of consulting firms; internal corporate consulting departments (groups for managing projects, specialized advisory departments); expert analytical centres and universities;
d) future “trajectories” of strategic consulting related to: the orientation of strategic consulting towards transition to the digital economy; substituting an acceleration model of consulting for the business one under conditions of the start-up economy; forming situational and anti-crisis consulting in contrast to the strategic one.
Conclusion of the research. It is expedient to do further researches in the sphere of strategic consulting towards: developing mechanisms for the concerted application of its main models; the system approach to analysing economic, social, political, and legal factors of evolvement; taking into account local and global challenges.
Short Abstract for an article
Abstract. The article generalizes scientific approaches to substantiating the content of strategic consulting. The author has revealed a relation between strategic consulting, strategic management, economics, innovation studies, and law. The author has attached particular attention to development of strategic consulting as a business industry and the main consulting products, including: developing and applying own methodical tools by consulting firms; forming predominantly long-term strategies for developing client organizations alongside simultaneous improving instruments for undertaking such strategy.
|strategy, strategic management, strategic consulting.|
Article in PDF
|1. What is the market size for the strategy consulting market? (n. d.). Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-market-size-for-the-strategy-consulting-market.
2. Strategy Consulting Market to 2025 – Global Analysis and Forecasts by Services and Industry Vertical. (n. d.). Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4714879/strategy-consulting-market-to-2025‑global.
3. Silberman, M. (2000). The Consultant’s Toolkit: High-Impact Questionnaires, Activities and How-to Guides for Diagnosing and Solving Client Problems. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
4. Silberman, M. (2002). The Consultant’s Big Book of Reproducible Survey and Questionnaires: 50 Instruments to Help You Assess and Diagnose Client Needs. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
5. Cope, M. (2003). The Seven C’s of Consulting: The Definitive Guide to the Consulting Process. FT Press.
6. Weiss, A. (2009). Getting Started in Consulting. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.
7. Weiss, A. (2011). The Consulting Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Expand a Seven-Figure Consulting Practice Paperback. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.
8. Canato, A., & Giangreco, A. Gurus or Wizards? A Review of the Role of Management Consultants (2011, Winter). European Management Review, 8 (4), 231–244. Retrieved from SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1973852 or http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j. 1740– 9762.2011.01021. x.
9. Christensen, C. M., Wang, D., & D. van Bever. (2013, October). Consulting on the cusp of disruption. Harvard Business Review, 3–10.
10. Davila, T., Epstein, M. J., & Shelton, R. (2008). Making innovation work: How to manage it, measure it, and profit from it. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
11. Davila, T., Epstein, M., Shelton, R., Cagan J. M., & Vogel C. M. (2013, August 08). How to decome innovative. FT Press.
12. Cardenas, F., Davila, T., & Oyon, D. (2016, May 13). Innovation Cells. Open Innovation: Academic and Practical Perspectives on the Journey from Idea to Market. Oxford University Press.
13. Kalna-Dubiniuk, T. P. (2011). Innovatsiinyi rozvytok upravlinskoho konsaltynhu [Innovative development of management consulting]. Problemy innovatsiino-investytsiinoho rozvytku – Problems of innovation and investment development, 1, 72–80 [in Ukrainian].
14. Klenin, O. (2016). Forming term «strategic consulting» in context of scientific approaches. Skhid – East, 4 (144), 29–33.
15. Klenin, O. V., & Bilopolskyi, M. H. (2017). Stratehichnyi konsaltynh v systemi upravlinnia rozvytkom pidpryiemstva: retrospektyva ta perspektyvy [Strategic consulting in the enterprise development management system: retrospective and prospects]. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy – Bulletin of Economic Science of Ukraine, 1, 134–165 [in Ukrainian].
16. Marchenko, O. S. (2008). Konsaltynhovi resursy natsionalnykh innovatsiinykh system. Ekonomiko-teoretychnyi analiz [Consulting resources of national innovation systems. Economic and theoretical analysis]. Kharkiv: Pravo [in Ukrainian].
17. Marchenko, O. S. (2015). Konsaltynh yak skladova nematerialnoi ekonomiky [Consulting as a component of the intangible economy]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic theory and law, 1 (20), 65–75 [in Ukrainian].
18. Saam, N. J. (2012, March). Economics Approaches to Management Consulting.In T. Clark, & M. Kipping (Eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Management Consulting. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199235049.013.0010.
19. Innovatyka [Innovation]. (n. d.). Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/ %D0 %86 %D0 %BD %D0 %BD %D0 %BE %D0 %B2 %D0 %B0 %D1 %82 %D0 %B8 %D0 %BA %D0 %B0 [in Ukrainian].
20. Leykin, D. (2012, July 17). Transformatsiya biznes-modeli i vozmozhnyye oshibki [Transformation of the business model and possible errors]. Retrieved from https://www.cfin.ru/management/strategy/change/transform.shtml [in Russian].
21. Strategic consulting. (n. d.). Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://www.consultancy.uk/ consulting-industry/strategy-consulting.
22. Marchenko, O. S. (2018, December 16). Ekonomichni radnyky prezydentiv ta uriadovtsiv [Economic advisers to presidents and government officials]. Retrieved from https://www.facebook.com/groups/701530796898235/permalink/733082523743062/.
23. Czerniawska, F. (2018, August 21). Strategy consulting: What’s going on behind the facade? Retrieved from https://www.sourceglobalresearch.com/blog/2018/08/21/strategy-consulting-what-s-going-on-behind-the-facade.
24. Reyder, M. (n. d.). Vzglyad v budushcheye: chto mozhet dat biznesu strategicheskiy konsalting? [Looking to the future: what can strategic consulting give business?]. Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://plus.rbc.ru/partners/575968367a8aa9377eb191ed [in Russian].
25. The 10 largest consulting firms in the world. (n. d.). Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://www.consultancy.uk/news/14018/the-10‑largest-consulting-firms-in-the-world.
26. McKinsey study: Organic growth remains key to long-term success. (n. d.). Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://www.consultancy.uk/news/14562/mckinsey-study-organic-growth-remains-key-to-long-term-success.
27. McKinsey: Best practice in core business diversification creates value. (n. d.). Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://www.consultancy.uk/news/13008/mckinsey-best-practicein-core-business-diversification-creates-value.
28. Companies with a long-term strategy significantly outperform their rivals. (n. d.). Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://www.consultancy.uk/news/13089/companieswith-a-longterm-strategy-significantly-outperform-their-rivals.
29. Bughin, J., Catlin, T., Hirt, M., & Willmott, P. (n. d.). Why digital strategies fail. Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/digitalmckinsey/our-insights/why-digital-strategies-fail.
30. 5 reasons why strategy consultants transition to a role in the industry. (n. d.). Retrieved April 25, 2019, from https://www.consultancy.uk/news/16116/5‑reasons-why-strategyconsultants-transition-to-a-role-in-the-industry.
31. Fedulova, L. I., & Marchenko, O. S. (2019). Tendentsii rozvytku ekspertno-analitychnoho seredovyshcha v Ukraini [Trends in the development of an expert-analytical environment in Ukraine]. Ekonomichna teoriia ta pravo – Economic theory and law, 1 (36), 57–72. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.31359/2411‑5584‑2019‑36‑1‑57 [in Ukrainian].
32. Mӧller, C., Ringel, M., & Hadi, Z. (2018). Organizing for Digital Innovation. Retrieved from https://www.bcg.com/publications/2018/most-innovative-companies-2018‑organizing-digital. asp.
33. Panina, A. (2019, March 6). Novaya era biznes-konsultirovaniya: ot konsaltinga k akseleratsii proyektov i idey [New era of business consulting: from consulting to acceleration of projects and ideas]. Retrieved from https://vc.ru/future/60413‑novayaera-biznes-konsultirovaniya-ot-onsaltinga-k-akseleracii-proektov-i-idey [in Russian].